Publications released by the Discrimination Commissioner
Publications produced by the DiscriminationCommissioner in relation to the ACT Discrimination Act 1991.
- Information on making a discrimination complaint is available on the Making a Discrimination Complaint section.
Brochures & Factsheets
- General brochure - Have you been treated unfairly? - general information on discrimination
- Play by the Rules - a brochure for sporting groups. The Play by the Rules website has more information.
Information on particular Protected Attributes, Sexual Harassment & Vilification
- Breastfeeding - your rights to breasfeed in public explained
- Breastfeeding and Childcare - information for providers (.html version). and parents (.html version).
- Age Discrimination - your rights explained
- Parent or Carer Discrimination - your rights explained
- Pregnancy - your rights explained
- Information on Race Discrimination for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People
- Sexual Harassment - your rights explained
- Gender Identity - discrimination and vilification protection
Please click below to download PDFs of the below posters:
Discrimination Submissions and Advice
Submission from the ACT Human Rights and Discrimination Commissioner to the Commonwealth Government's Discrimination Law Consolidation Consultation is available here (.doc format). A copy of the submission of the Australian Council of Human Rights Agencies is available on the Attorney-General's website here.
The Discrimination Commissioner provided advice to the Standing Committee on Planning and Environment about the ways in which current bus services need to improve to meet the needs of many people, including those with disabilities, women with caring and other responsibilities, children and aged people -
7 August 2007. See media release also.
- Submission from the ACT Human Rights Commission entitled 'Comment on the Sexual and Violent Offences Legislation Amendment Bill 2008' - 21 July 2008
- Paid work and family responsibilities submission entitled: 'A Territory and State human rights agencies response to HREOC Discussion Paper Striking the Balance: Women, Men, Work and Family' - 17 October 2005
Reports & Issues Papers
- The HRC's World AIDS Day Survey 2009, shows discrimination is still an issue for those living with blood borne viruses (including HIV/AIDS). The theme for 2009 World AIDS Day was 'Take Action. No Discrimination. More information is in the media release and survey summary.
- 'Challenging Racism: the anti-racism research project'. The Commission allocated $5000 to this national project to conduct surveys of local experiences of , and attitudes towards, racism. The findings of the ACT component revealed experiences of, and attitudes towards racism in the ACT.
- 'Mainstreaming Equality in the ACT - An equality duty for the ACT Discrimination Act'. Report prepared for the ACT Human Rights and Discrimination Commissioner, Dr. Helen Watchirs by Gabrielle Szabo, an intern with the Australian National Internships Program, October 2008.
- At the Human Rights Community Forum 2007, the Commissioner released a research paper prepared by ANU Law student Anisa Naraqi, 'Snakes and Ladders: the impact of exceptions in the Discrimination Act 1991 on human rights in the ACT'
- Issues paper of the former ACT Human Rights Office: 'Racial and Religious Vilification in the ACT' - Investigating the effectiveness of Part 6 of the ACT Discrimination Act 1991'
- Human Rights & Discrimination Commissioner decision: 'Exemption application by Raytheon Australia & ors'
- More information on exemptions under the Discrimination Act is available here.
Last updated 20 May 2013